Yummy Rum Cake

Author: Jax Cassidy // Category: , ,
I was too tired last night after watching Dollhouse and some movies we rented to try out this new Rum Cake recipe. So this morning, I decided to make it a mission to do it right, crossing my fingers it wouldn't burn up my home :) You see, I'm a terrible baker...except for the occasional instant pop-in-the-oven sugar cookies. I've only baked a handful of times and either it turned out or it was trashed. After following this recipe I found and adding my own twist, I was skeptical that the end result would be editable. To my surprise...it was perfect! Mr. Right and I ended up having slices of moist and yummy Rum Cake with our coffee. It was amazing how well it came out in a bread loaf pan. Next time, I'm going to get a bundt cake pan or mini-bundt cake pan. Uh-oh, I think this is going to be one of those obsessions...

As you can tell on the pictures, this is how perfect it turned out...I'm still wondering why it split at the top but I will investigate on my next baking mission.







Doesn't it look beautiful! LOL

I'm also dying to make chocolate and Grand Marnier souffles because I had it at this awesome French restaurant the other night and can't stop thinking about it. Isn't it a good feeling to find something new to try? I am pretty proud of my handiwork... :)

I'm going to bring some slices of my yummy experiment to give to Mr. Right's parents on Easter Sunday. It's a family dinner and I'll get to see his little nephew for the first time. Hope he likes the pink plush bunny I'm bringing him...I almost wanted to keep it for myself!

Have a wonderful Easter and may it be a joyous occasion of egg hunts and barbeques for you and your family!

**per request**

GOLDEN RUM CAKE
Recipe provided by AllRecipes

INGREDIENTS

* 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (your choice if you want nuts)
* 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix (Pillsbury has the pudding mix in it)
* 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
* 4 eggs
* 1/2 cup water
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 1/2 cup dark rum (I substituted with Coconut Rum)
* 1/2 cup butter
* 1/4 cup water
* 1 cup white sugar
* 1/2 cup dark rum (Don't skimp on the good rum for the glaze or same per above)

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan. Sprinkle chopped nuts evenly over the bottom of the pan. (If you want nuts-YUCK)
2. In a large bowl, combine cake mix and pudding mix. Mix in the eggs, 1/2 cup water, oil and 1/2 cup rum. Blend well. Pour batter over chopped nuts in the pan.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let sit for 10 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto serving plate. Brush glaze over top and sides. Allow cake to absorb glaze and repeat until all glaze is used.
4. To make the glaze: in a saucepan, combine butter, 1/4 cup water and 1 cup sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat and continue to boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup rum. The best thing to do is to pour the rum in slowly over the sink because it might fizzle up, depending on the rum brand!

9 Responses to "Yummy Rum Cake"

Kristen Painter Says :
4:49 PM

Now I want cake.

Ember Says :
5:15 PM

It looks yummy - now where's the recipe!

Jax Cassidy Says :
6:13 PM

I will revised to reflect the recipe. :)

Sela Carsen Says :
6:25 PM

DH needs to bake something for me tonight.

Kwana Says :
10:24 PM

Happy Easter. Congrats on the beautiful cake. I just finished watching Dollhouse. I'm so hooked.

Abigail Says :
10:30 PM

Looks Yummy!

Maria Geraci Says :
4:51 AM

Sounds absolutely delish. I'm a terrible baker too, but I'm going to give this a try!

B.E. Sanderson Says :
8:47 AM

OMG, that sounds totally evil. Thanks. =o)

Happy BunnyDay.

Jax Cassidy Says :
11:42 AM

Happy Easter everyone! Please let me know if your baking attempts were successful! :)

Post a Comment